Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:22:02 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nscd not caching

--Sig_/QQj.UnoqZQ/vsLmjjaWO+O4

Am Sun, 17 Aug 2014 13:09:10 +0000
"Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com> schrieb:

> Nobody using nscd? Really?

I can only speak for myself and I stopped using nscd since the support is c=
rap.

A while ago (t > 1 1/2 years) I realised within a OpenLDAP environment, tha=
t when nscd is
running, sometimes the system simple "forgets" about root - this is painful=
 while
installing/updating ports and getting interrupted with a weird error "unkno=
wn user root".

nscd is supposed to be used in large environments where the cost for a user=
 lookup, like
in OpenLDAP, is worse. But obviously FreeBSD isn't used in that large envir=
onments with
OpenLDAP and I'm wondering what the purpose of nscd is.

--Sig_/QQj.UnoqZQ/vsLmjjaWO+O4

--Sig_/QQj.UnoqZQ/vsLmjjaWO+O4--