Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 10:20:16 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        "Thomas Good" <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Users in NYC?

>snip....
>Where are you folks located?

I'm in Brooklyn, Actually pretty near the Verrazano N. Bridge.
Grew up in Queens.

> ...snip
> I think a Free Unix User Group is preferable to FBSD only.  I love linux
> and the guys on the other lists typically bash us linuxers.  It's rather
> petty.  Anyway, no boundaries, right?

Right. As a matter of fact I'm seeing references to the fact that some linux
software can run on fbsd w/just a little "prodding". One thing I'd like to
talk about is the internet browser situation for fbsd. Is Netscape the only
choice? I would tend to want to invsestigate a stable  ver. of navigator and
use pine for mail - something like that(?). then there's always Opera. I've
played w/it alot on w9x/nt w/mixed results.

> > slices, (vs partitions, waht's the difference - i'd really like to know_
> >snip.........

My walnut creek cd's should be coming this week. I'm hearing alot about that
dos partion you cite below. So you just make a small partiton at the "start"
of the disk (dos needs to be 1st i assume), and load Ms-dos, or only would
one fdisk/format it to fat16 and use the "sys" cmd to get he dos system
files on there. I'd also need a boot manager of some kind too w/multiple
OS's. Yeah this good -just what I need below - thanks btw,You didn't mention
the swap - what's the "lowdown" on /swap?

 my experience with FBSD and AT&T Unix (which is where BSD got the slice
> terminology) a partition is a section of the hard disk wherein an
Operating
> System resides.  That section is further subdivived into 'slices' wherein
> major components of the filesystem (directory tree structure) reside.
> That is:  On box1 I have a dos maintenance partition (where I keep a dos
> command interpreter [command.com] and a boot loader).  Next up I have
> a big partition where I keep FBSD.  These are two partitions.  Within the
> FBSD partition I have some slices of differing sizes.  I follow std unix.
> So I have a 'root' partition of 50 M.  This holds the kernel and
sysinstall
> (both in /stand) and some other goodies.  But it is small.  Then I have
> a slice of 20 M that is my 'mount point' for the /var directory, so named
> as its contents are 'variable'.  I dislike strongly FBSD's sizing scheme
> that makes this slice so tiny because I move large database files around
> using UUCP (unix to unix copy) and /var fills up too easily...
> Anyway, my third slice on the FBSD partition is /usr.  This is a huge
slice.
> Why? All of the code used by ordinary users goes here, as do the home
directories.
> /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, and /usr/home can become gigantic.  So, this
> slice is set to 1G on the machine I'm describing.
> I did not choose this sizing scheme, I let FBSD do it.  If I were to do it
> again I would shrink /usr a bit in favour of /var to give myself less
> headaches (I'm a DBA and need the space for my code and data).

> > All the tutorials assume unix sysadmin knowledge - that's a stone cold
fact.

Sorry, my statement there is a little strong. There is some good intro
documentation on freebsd and unix in general out there -i'm getting alot of
links together on this.

> > > Anyway i'm totally for the FBSD newbie
> > > group, just let me know when!
>
> yes, let's try to get this going...BTW, feel free to send me questions
> and I will try to help.  I'd suggest you do it offline tho so we don't
> get scolded for using a list designed for non-technical discussion to
> do tech talk.

Great. Thanks.
Lee