Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:40:25 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Joseph Glass <glassjos@msu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compiling Kernel after cvsup & upgrade

You should provide us with the complete error messages if you really
need help.

But yes, you must generally to a make world after a cvsup. Usually the
procedure to upgrade a system after a cvsup is something along the lines
of:

make buildworld && make buildkernel && ( drop single-user ) && make
installkernel && reboot single user && make installworld && mergemaster.

But this is all documented in the handbook and you're making me loose my
time answer this already answered question.

A.

Joseph Glass wrote:

> I upgraded to 4.2 Release from 4.1, then I did a cvsup to STABLE on the
> /usr/src/sys and lib/ trees.  I want to recompile my kernel, but it fails
> while compiling when I do make install.  I didn't do anything else after I
> did the cvsup.  I read in the handbook something along the lines of: after
> tracking the src tree, you have to do a make world.  Is this what is going
> wrong with my kernel make install?  If so, do I really have to do a full
> make world on the system?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Glass

La sémantique est la gravité de l'abstraction.