Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:21:50 -0800
From:      "Jonathan Graehl" <jonathan@graehl.org>
To:        "freebsd-Arch" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ftpd SITE MD5 and "really bad links"

A digest of the file would be significantly more useful if the FTP server had a
site key, and transmitted the digest plus the digest encrypted with that private
key.  Then you would actually *know* you got the right file, as opposed to
knowing you got the file that somebody, not necessarily the FTP server, wanted
you to get ;)  RIPEMD160 looks credible at first glance, although I'm surprised
it isn't an RFC (2857 specifies using it with HMAC, though).

-Jon