Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:52:11 -0500
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Having problems booting when attempting to mounting /dev from another filesystem on 4.11-REL

Guys/Gals,

One of my embedded machines died a while back after several years of =
service
(enough to erase my memory.). I am trying to rebuild the flash file =
system
on the machine, and ran into a snag. I'm attempting to manually install
4.11-REL on this system, as it is a rather old device with little RAM
(32MB), and a troublesome ACPI system. (By manually, I mean I'm
creating/copying file systems from a "host" drive running 4.11 rather =
than
use the installer)

=20

The flash memory is only 32MB, so I have to fairly particular about what =
put on it. Right now, I just have the kernel, /bin, /sbin, /etc, /boot, =
and
place holders for /usr. I symlink in /modules, /root, /home, /var, /tmp, =
etc
from /usr (which is an IBM micro drive). I mount /dev from another slice =
on
the flash memory.

=20

The rule is, anything that doesn't need to be written, or is required =
for
boot, is placed on a read-only flash slice, /dev (which doesn't actually
harm the flash, but must be mounted read-write, is mounted from a =
separate
slice on the flash, and everything else is mounted on /usr.

=20

The problem I'm seeing is that the kernel boots to "mounting root from
ad0s1a" and then it hangs. I suspect that is because I don't have the =
right
/dev entries on the primary slice's /dev.

=20

The question is what are the minimal set of /dev devices required to =
boot
sufficiently to the point where it can attempt to mount the rest of the =
file
systems? I know this can be done, because the original install did it =
this
way (though it took quite a bit of hacking to get it to work right) I =
just
lost half the secret sauce formula. The other half was remembering to =
create
a 1MB slice, and using "newfs -b 4096 -i 128" on the /dev file system so
there are enough inodes.

=20

Thanks,

Seth Henry