Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:02:23 -0800
From:      Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>, "Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein" <q@uni.de>, FreeBSD LIST <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Power off problem

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 02:38:58PM -0500, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > Ulrich 'Q' Spoerlein wrote:
> > > halt -p   or shutdown -p now
> > ... does indeed not work on a lot of modern systems. All my athlon boxes
> > here will only poweroff with 5-CURRENT, thanks to acpi-support there.
> > Michael Nottebrock
>
> There was another post about having to recompile the kernel as well as add
> apmd_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf by the way.

The most common issue I've seen is that the default apm line in both the
GENERIC and LINT files compiles apm0 support in, and then DISABLES it:

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device      apm0  at nexus? disable flags 0x20 # Advanced Power Management
                            ^^^^^^^

So not only do you have to make sure you've added device apm0, you also
have to delete/comment the "disable" part:

device      apm0  at nexus?

Once I did this and rebuilt my kernel, I've had no problems powering down
on several AMD Athlon/Pentium III/Pentium 4 systems.

Christian Chen