Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:51:55 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detecting the presence of threads (for a port)

Peter van Heusden wrote:

> I've been merging Terry Lambert's patches to ldap-3.3 (which include the
> Critical Angle patches as well as some of Terry's own) with the existing
> ldap port, and managed to get a working build (which needs an hour or two
> of cleaning up). The port, however, requires pthreads, which requires
> libc_r. I was wondering how to deal with this. Two questions:
>
> 1) How to detect the existence of pthreads? I assume a pre-configure test
> for libc_r should do?

Simply check for libc_r.

> 2) Should pthreads be required in the default port? Since they are not
> available with an out-of-the-box 2.2 FreeBSD, I assume not, in which case
> I'd have to break the pthread patches out into a seperate set of files,
> and only apply them if a particular make variable is set. Does this make
> sense?

You need it. Otherwise it won't work in any useful manner.

> P.S. Who else (if anyone) is working on ldap at present?

We are not working on it, but working with it. Theres one really big
bug in Terry's patches (or in libc_r) that prevents ldif2ldap & co.
from working (you'll get empty ddb files). I reported that to Terry
but I don't know if he has fixed it yet.

Lemme suggest another small thing: Please inlcude the Berkeley DB 2.x
stuff into the LDAP-3.3 port (LDAP isn't really useful without it).

And yet another thing: Netscape released their LDAP client lib stuff
to the public on www.mozilla.org, it needs also an port but I'm far
too busy at the moment to do it.

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch