Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:45:20 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        setantae <setantae@submonkey.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directory entries won't shrink

In the last episode (Oct 18), Sheldon Hearn said:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:25:11 +0100, setantae wrote:
>
> > I've previously been led to be believe that the only way to do this
> > is to recreate the directory, and that directories never shrink on
> > their own.
>
> That's pretty bad news, but thanks for the reply. :-)

They will shrink, but it will only shrink when a file is added to the
directory, and it will only truncate the directory (so if one of your
64 files is in the last block of the directory, it'll never shrink).
You can sort of work around this by renaming each file, which will move
it to the first open slot in the directory.

for i in * ; do mv $i $$.tmp ; mv $$.tmp $i ; done

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com