Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 17:09:04 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   All zeros still recognized as broadcast??

j@uriah 100% netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          4      934       lo0
192.168.0.0        0:a0:24:55:7a:c3   UHLWb       0        4       lo0 =>
                                          ^

I've incidentally tried to assign 192.168.0.0 to an ethernet
interface.  The above route is the result, the `b' flag telling me:

     b       RTF_BROADCAST    The route represents a broadcast address

I thought automatically recognizing all zeros as a (bogus) broadcast
address has been diminished long ago?

Needless to say, i can't really work with this address.  Pinging
myself yields a ``Can't assign requested address'' then.  Isn't this
just a waste of address space only?  (I was going to assign a four-
host subnet to a colleague, with the intention to have three usable
addresses plus the broadcast address.)

Also, i can't get rid of this bogus cloned route.  A route delete
gives me ``Not in table''.

--
cheers, J"org