Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:00:17 -0400
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "threads@freebsd.org" <threads@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pthread_key_create and !-lpthreads binaries

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 13, 2011, at 3:33 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote:

>=20
> Dear threading folk:
>=20
> This afternoon I wrote some threaded code for Mac OS X, and then checked i=
t out on FreeBSD and was a bit surprised when it compiled but didn't work. T=
urns out, of course, that on Mac OS X I'd omitted -lpthread and not noticed,=
 as the thread primitives are in libSystem.  It ran, and the reason I ran in=
to trouble is that, although no-op locking calls are fine, getting back "suc=
cess" from pthread_key_create() when it has actually failed is problematic.
>=20
> Would it be possible to make the thread stub for pthread_key_create() retu=
rn an error, instead of succeeding (but not actually succeeding)?  Or, perha=
ps better yet, I should get a link-time error for that function, even though=
 I shouldn't get one for lock/unlock?