Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 13:39:06 -0600
From:      "Bill O'Hanlon" <wmo@hq.pro-ns.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some APM stuff

I'm somewhat interested in getting some of the APM stuff working
on my laptop, which is a Compaq Concerto.  It's a little old, so
if this just isn't going to happen, it's no big deal.

On the off chance that any of these observations help advance the
cause, I'm sending them.  Feel free to ignore all of this -- I'm
just tinkering for the fun of it.

There's a couple things I'll mention.  First, I've got two PCMCIA
cards in it, and they both work fine.  One's an Intel Faxmodem
14.4, and the other is a Linksys Ethernet card.  (Don't buy these,
by the way -- the dongle for the ethernet connection is loose and
fragile.  I'm on my second dongle, and they're not cheap.)

Nate, you mentioned a while back that some people have to use sio.c
with some of the probes commented out to get the modem card to
work.  I'm one of them.  So, if anyone wants to run that issue
down, I'd be happy to try your code.  Since it works with the probes
(3, 5 and 6, if I recall correctly) commented out, I'm happy with
it the way it is.  I might look at it after I get around the APM
things.

First of all, here's the output from apm.  Is that APM version
possible?? Maybe I'm too far back on this old machine to be able
to get this stuff working.

APM version: 0.27
APM Managment: Enabled
AC Line status: on-line
Battery status: charging
Remaining battery life: 100%

Next, here's the boot output from a kernel with APM_DEBUG defined.
The thing that I think might be useful for people working on the
APM stuff is the part where "Add hook" is called for BOTH Cirrus Logic
and Intel PCIC hardware.  Is this right?  It doesn't look right.
Plus, both are in there multiple times.

Oh, I suppose I should mention what doesn't work: if I do a
"zzz", I get a panic.  The stack trace from DDB has a zillion
calls to "apm_processevent" and "apm_suspend" -- as if they're
calling each other in an infinite loop.  Interestingly, the
machine DID suspend right after the debugger prompt
comes up -- so it's almost like the suspend would work if the
routines weren't calling each other to death.  Resuming from
suspend brings it back up with the debugger active, so the resume
almost seems to work, too.

If this helps anyone trying to get the APM stuff working in
a general fashion, great.  If not, I'll just continue to
poke at it myself.

Copyright (c) 1992-1997 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
	The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #2: Tue Nov  4 23:49:29 CST 1997
    wmo@rebma.pro-ns.net:/usr4/src/sys/compile/MIATA2
CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU)
real memory  = 12845056 (12544K bytes)
avail memory = 10461184 (10216K bytes)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
Add hook "system keyboard"
ed0 not found at 0x280
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16450
sio1 not found at 0x2f8
sio2 not found at 0x3e8
psm0 at 0x60-0x64 irq 12 on motherboard
psm0: device ID 0
pca0 on motherboard
pca0: PC speaker audio driver
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST9145AG>
wd0: 122MB (249900 sectors), 980 cyls, 15 heads, 17 S/T, 512 B/S
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
apm0 on isa
apm: APM BIOS version 0001
apm: Code32 0xf00f0000, Code16 0xf00f0000, Data 0xf00f0000
apm: Code entry 0x0000c505, Idling CPU disabled, Management enabled
apm: CS_limit=0x1f, DS_limit=0x655
apm: found APM BIOS version 0.27
apm: Slow Idling CPU disabled
Add hook "default suspend"
Add hook "default resume"
called apm_event_enable()
ppc0 at 0x3bc irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset in EPP mode (EPP 1.9)
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
PC-Card Cirrus Logic PD672X (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
Add hook "Cirrus Logic PD672X"
Add hook "Cirrus Logic PD672X"
pcic: controller irq 3
Add hook "Cirrus Logic PD672X"
Add hook "Cirrus Logic PD672X"
Add hook "Intel 82365"
Add hook "Intel 82365"
Initializing PC-card drivers: ed sio
wd0: wdcontrol: wdcommand failed reading fsbn 0wd0: status 1<err> error 4<abort

Card inserted, slot 1
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
ed0: address 00:80:c8:80:c4:1a, type NE2000 (16 bit)
Slot 1, unfielded interrupt (5)
APM ioctl: cmd = 0x20005005
called apm_event_enable()
APM ioctl: cmd = 0x40185002