Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 23:47:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peyman M <el_durango@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Telnet and FTP question

system info.
uname -a:
FreeBSD patton.warriors.com 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD
4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54
:49 GMT 2001
jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
i386

I have setup FreeBSD and installed it on the network,
I can telnet to systems on the network and telnet to
the Freebsd system.  I have setup the router/firewall
to access the Freebsd machine when telneting into the
domain from the outside.  When I telnet it shows that
it makes a connection but it takes a long time (more
than a min) for the username/passwd prompts pop up.
On the network there is also a Linux server, I
configured the router to point to the linux machine
for telnet and it instantaneously went to the login
prompt.  Why is this delay occuring in the freebsd
machine and not with the linux machine. Both of them
have the same info in the /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/hosts files.  I also do not know why the Freebsd
machine cannot access the internet but only sees the
intranet.

thank you,
peyman m.