Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:29:09 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-ISP-L <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New clue to "machine disappears off network" problem?

>    I upgraded my workstation (the only machine on our network to have
>this problem) to 2.2-960612-SNAP, and it started reporting errors on
>the network interface:
>
>Jun 25 04:46:26 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 05:29:52 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 05:52:00 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 06:05:25 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 06:18:00 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 06:39:25 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 07:33:37 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>Jun 25 08:03:57 cabal /kernel: de0: receiver: CRC error
>[etc.]
>
>    No other machines are running this snapshot yet, so I can't say
>for sure if there is a correlation between a network hang and the
>reporting of these errors.  Is this an indication of a bad cable or a
>bad card?  I would be interested in hearing if anyone else sees these
>errors and has experienced the network hang problem.

   It appears to be caused by a bug in the driver. It has been seen on several
other machines as well (not the least of which was wcarchive before I pulled
out the driver and put the old one back in). The author is at the IETF meeting
and will be back next week.
   There is also a bug in it that will cause a panic. It'll be fixed after
2.1.5R ships.

-DG

David Greenman