Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:33:04 -0400
From:      "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anyone got their USB mouse working on FreeBSD 4.x?

On Monday, July 16, 2001 21:36:25 -0400, "Sung N. Cho" <sucho2@vt.edu>
wrote:
+-----
| and this gives unable to open device, device busy signal!   I've disabled
+--->8

If you haven't disabled the appropriate "attach" line in usbd.conf, then a
moused is already running while the mouse is plugged in and neither a
command-line moused nor accessing /dev/ums0 from XFree86 will work; they'll
get the "device busy" error because the auto-started moused has it open.

vpn74:14981 Z$ grep mouse /etc/rc.conf
moused_enable="YES"

and in /etc/usbd.conf:

device "Mouse"
	devname "ums[0-9]+"
	attach "/usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/${DEVNAME} -I
/var/run/moused.${DEVNAME}.pid"

and my /etc/X11/XF86Config has the first entry you sent.

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu