Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:45:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_disk.c write_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

> From: Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
> Date: Fri 25 Oct, 2002
> Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_disk.c write_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:15:47PM +0100, Mark Valentine wrote:
> > I guess I didn't expect the "compatibility slice" to ever go away...
>
> I've used FreeBSD since 4.0. I did not know that your "compatibility slice"
> method even existed. I've managed to get along without for a long time.

"It works until it doesn't..."

> > Because DOS doesn't refer to its partition by its index in the MBR partition
> > table, and apparently some tools therefore feel free to reorder the table on
> > a whim.
>
> I've never come across any tool that did this. If it does, I would propose
> that it is seriously broken.

I'll accept that.  It was so long ago I can't even remember what did it; maybe
I'll find out again when I'm forced to go back to hard coded partition indexes
in my fstab.

> > ad0s3a is effectively a random place.
>
> It is almost frightening to me to think that your partition table changes
> that much and you aren't aware of what is being moved and to where it is
> moved.

Other systems on the disk survive it, however.

> > Sure, it's only an occasional nuisance.  However, it reflects a flaw in
> > the system, and is not its only manifestation (see my point about scripts
> > and backups).
>
> What scripts do you need to modify? Once you mount a filesystem, the
> scripts refer to the files on it by path. Do you have scripts that play
> with the disk devices themselves? Once you modify /etc/fstab, there is
> little left that needs done.

For myself, generally scripts (actually config files) related to backups;
I don't pretend to know where others bury partition device names.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses