Date:      Sun, 16 May 2004 08:03:12 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installation on a single partition

Unless you're really short of hard disk space, I'd say that this is a bad i=
dea.
Multiple partitions give added stability and security.

The sole disadvantage of using multiple partitions is that you might not
allocate enough space on one particular partition and so it could fill up -
therefore, you have to put some careful thought into how large each partiti=
on
should be.=20

Advantage No. 1 of multiple partitions - stability. Some directories are
frequently being written to, especially /tmp and /var, and probably /home
(especially if you manage to create a swap file there). If there is a system
crash or power failure while information is being written, you could lose
everything. All your critical data probably resides in /home, so you should=
 keep
it in a separate partition so that you can recover it even if everything el=
se
goes to hell. Ideally, you want the / partition to be read-only.

Advantage No. 2 - security. A number of denial of service attacks and other
hacks are aimed at /tmp and /var, and you can accidentally cause a
self-inflicted denial of service attack if you fill up /home. Having separa=
te
partitions prevents this.

At the very least, keep swap in its own partition. Ideally, have separate
partitions for /, /usr, /tmp, /var and /home.

regards,
Robert