Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 1996 13:31:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAT filesystem performance

> > I wonder if he thought about maximal FATs with 64K * 1.5 byte entries.
> > They would barely fit on a 160K floppy :-).

Pardon me, 1.5 byte entries mean by defiitiion at most 4K entries,
i.e. 12K total per two FATs. Fits nicely on a disk!

> I'd go along with that: and certainly not the msdosfs at the expense of
> other fs-es.  One thing they did find with the MS-DOS LRU scheme was that
> FAT sectors tended to "un-cache" too readily.  Different prioritization
> could resolve that.

All the above is correct, but keep in mind that it depends a lot
on how many BUFFERS=xxx you declare in your config files. And this is
often a small number, which explains the poor performance of the cache.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/