Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:09:54 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>
Cc:        "Rogier R. Mulhuijzen" <drwilco@drwilco.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'rm' incompatibility with Posix.2

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 10:45:25AM +0200, Bogdan TARU wrote:

> 	Dear Rogier & Terry,
>
>  I didn't say the behaviour contradicts Posix.2. I just said that Posix.2
> specifies removal of the trailing slashes when doing directory operation.
> Which, for example, freebsd 'rm' does not, which leads to a strange
> behaviour. As I stated, I have tryied this on more than one other OS
> (OpenBSD 2.9, 3.0, Linux, HP UX 10.20, Solaris 2.7, 2.8), and all yelded
> the same result (different from the FreeBSD).
>
>  Also, I quote from the FreeBSD man page of 'rm':
>
> "The rm utility removes symbolic links, not the files referenced by
> the links."

I can't see the point where it is wrong.
You aren't referencing a link.

And why should rm behave differently than e.g. ls?
If I add a trailing '/' I would expect every command to do the same.
Well if your are working on differenet systems you should add '/.'
to be shure and forget about the '/' only case.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de