Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 11:43:20 -0500
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        doug101@xecu.net
Cc:        ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fwd: Re: ports/31093: new port "flyway"

Hi Doug,

Remember me from the discussion we had about Python and GUI libs? Well, I'm
over in the FreeBSD camp now, after having decided that the distro-wars and
politics and factionalization in the Linux community were not for me.

Since one of your software projects has been packaged for use on FreeBSD, and
I saw this PR (problem report), I thought I'd pass it on and explain a bit
about how FreeBSD ports work in connection with an author's file
distributions.

The submitter of the package ("port") for flyway was jabley@automagic.org; if
this is the first you're hearing of flyway being packaged on FreeBSD, he's
the guy you want to contact.

Unlike Redhat's SRPMS, which contain the source code, a FreeBSD port is a
directory tree containing metadata about the package, a directory of patches
or other files that are in addition to the source distribution, and a
Makefile (Meta-Makefile) for fetching the source, building and installing the
package within the FreeBSD build system.

With that in mind, what's happened here is that a "port" for flyway was
created, and right as it was submitted, you must've updated flyway to a new
point release (0.2.1), and removed the old release from the website.

When you replace the old source tarball with the new one, rather than leaving
the old one there, too, the FreeBSD system usually handles it gracefully,
since the FreeBSD mirrors have all the source packages, and requests for the
old file will fall back to those locations until the port is updated for the
new version.

This was just bad timing. It's nice to leave one older version up for grabs
to allow the port to be updated, but not essential as long your license
allows FreeBSD to mirror the files[1]. I'll note to the ports list that your
version number has been bumped.

I'm still working on that Python GUI-based project I wrote to you about
originally; I've been sidetracked by some other issues, but I'm trying to get
back to it in the next couple of weeks. I still have our correspondence
including all of your advice; hopefully I can put it to use soon. :)

Notes:
[1] AT&T's license doesn't permit mirroring of the ksh packages. They also
remove old releases when new ones are available. This means that every time
they update ksh, or a component thereof, the port breaks and nobody can build
the software, including the FreeBSD machines that create binaries for people
who want those. This sucks.