Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:09:29 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (WAS: Please review: new Java Project docs)

> As a prelude to continuing this conversation, I believe we probably should
> start figuring out how to use Ant in all the Java ports to resolve
> dependencies, build jars, do versioning and so on.   I would like Ernst to
> comment on this, since he does the majority of the Java-related ports
> (including Ant).
>
> It's definitely a more sane way of building and packaging Java
> (particularly generating javadocs from code that has it) ... but I also
> think it would be an improved way of doing version checking and upgrades.
> Take a lot of the work out of the Makefile and into the build.xml's.

Dylan, you are right. We should move to Ant. This has been proposed and
discussed before, but never actually taken to the next level, i.e. a working
example. Currently a very small number of ports seems to use Ant:

databases/postgresql-jdbc/Makefile
java/jdom/Makefile
java/jump/Makefile

Maintainer for the first one is girgen@partitur.se, while I'm the maintainer
for the other two. These ports, however, don't even serve as a good example,
because they only use the buildfile that comes with the library being
installed.

Initial suggestion:

o An Ant-based port sets USE_ANT=YES which is interpreted by
  bsd.java.mk.

Now that's a lot, isn't it? ;-) Questions that arise immediately are:

o Should the port come with a build.xml file or should it set some
  properties that will allow us to _generate_ a build.xml file for
  it?
o If the port comes with a build.xml file, then should it have some
  default targets?
o How do we install any JAR files, source code, Javadoc API documentation,
  etc in a standard manner?

/me hopes this will ignite the discussion and shine some light on
this subject which remains a bit vague and distorted in his head

Ernst