Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:53:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hardie <chris@summersault.com>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Confusion about router/firewall traffic from router itself

From the sound of things, I'm assuming that our setup is non-standard.

I'm interested to know what a "typical" setup might be that would
eliminate the need for my earlier questions.  It seems that most folks
would have similar starting points: an upstream ISP with a router that you
plug into, a firewall that needs to be the entry point for all network
traffic, and a need to access network services from inside the network.
What would one do rather than plug the link into the router/firewall?

We might be slightly exceptional in that we do web hosting and
co-location, and therefore have some "non-standard" needs in terms of
direct addressing for internal hosts.

In any case, thanks for the help and pointers.

Chris

----- mailto:chris@summersault.com ----------
-------- http://www.summersault.com/chris/ --