Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 20:45:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   xauth

I would like to read more and understand the DISPLAY variable when it comes
to X (X11/XFree86/4.2.0/xauth, whatever).  In my XF86Config file I have a
section called Screen which later defines itself as Screen 0; is that
related to xauth in any way?  Could someone give me a URL -- preferably
within www.xfree86.org or www.gnome.org -- to follow this stuff?

When I startx (gnome, and by the way, how do I tell which version of gnome
is running/starting up?) I get this error:

xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "myhost-here.san.rr.com:0" in "list" command
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "myhost-here.san.rr.com:0" in "add" command

The manpage for xauth says to either create a ~/.Xauthority file (since xdm
is called by my /etc/tty file on ttyv8) or to setenv the variable
XAUTHORITY but the manpage doesn't discuss the format for this.

Thanks to a kind soul that can turn on my light bulb.

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder