Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:23:55 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        matthew@starbreaker.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Hardware Question

On Friday 07 September 2001 04:11 pm, Matthew Graybosch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm interested in switching from Slackware Linux 8 to FreeBSD
> 4.3, but I have some hardware I'm not sure FreeBSD supports.
>
> Before I switch, I'd like to know if FreeBSD supports either
> the Creative Ensoniq (es1371) or SB Live! (emu10k1) sound
> cards.

There have been some problems, but as far as I know, they were resolved, and
both cards are supported.  I know there's people running the emu10k cards.

> I also have a US Robotics PCI modem, model 5610. It has its own
> controller, and I've used it under Linux for almost 2 years.
> Can I use it in FreeBSD?

Shouldn't give you any grief if it has a hardware controller.  Recently they
have started putting together drivers for winmodems under linux, and some of
those will also run under FBSD, but all that is recent (last 6-8 months).
Also winmodems are controllerless, that's the problem....if it has a
controller, it should be fine.  Didn't I just say that?

> Finally, my videocard uses an nVidia GeForce II MX chipset. I
> can use the "nv" driver in XFree86 4.1.0 under FreeBSD, right?

I use it with no trouble.

> If there's an exhaustive list of supported hardware that you
> can refer me to, I'd appreciate it. Please reply to
> matthew@starbreaker.net
try http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.3R/notes.html
section 2 contains the hardware list.  Of course, this applies to 4.3, and
4.4 is almost ready for release, if you can wait a week.  Also, it won't
cover the X stuff, becuase that isn't related to freebsd per se.

mike