Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:33:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

> > Installed nt4.0 beta on a machine last night just to have a look.  It's
> > Windows NT 97.  But the machine, sitting idle, doing nothing was
> > consuming 15.5 megs of RAM.  There were no applications running, no icon
> > menus up.  The only thing up was th one utility to let me look at
>
> I wonder if they pre-allocate a large cache buffer, and then reduce the
> cache when the demain for core increases (like some Unix's do).  If so,
> then it's no big deal that it was consuming 15.5 megs of core sitting
> idle.

Or they could be keeping program images, disk cache and everything
that is accessed around.  Some people have gotten upset about the small amount
of "free" memory on FreeBSD, until they realize that it is more
efficient to cache as much as you can :-).  Some of our "cache" memory
becomes "active", but is quickly made available for other uses as needed.

John