Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:21:23 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   mail delivery Q

My professor came to me today saying that his collaboration members
were complaining that they (some of them) received mail from him
with an 8 hour delay. He asked me how come and I looked into
/var/maillog where I could find that he sent said mail at 12:25.
The recipients were some users@host and somealias@domain.
The users@host received their mail immediately. Only the aliased (at the
destination) recipients were suffering from that long delay.

As I understand, sendmail resolves the host and contacts the host's
sendmail directly to deliver the mail, right? What happens in the case of
the host portion actually isn't a host but a domain? Does sendmail
send to the smart host (DS macro)? Or does it deliver to the host
specified by the MX record in the nameserver if the nameserver has a
MX entry?

I'm trying to locate where the enormous delay came from. Can it be seen
from the headers at the receiving site?