Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:17:02 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes@daemon.li>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: headinlines firstletter capitalized

--xA/XKXTdy9G3iaIz

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:09:23PM +0200, Josef El-Rayes wrote:
> hi!
>=20
> i was wondering whether press article's headlines should have
> capatalized first letters of each word or should it be the way it is
> capatalized on the articles headline.

Here's what the _Chicago Manual of Style_ says about capitalizing quoted
titles (headline style):

7.127   In regular title capitalization, also known as headline style,
        the first and last words and all nouns, pronouns, adjectives,
        verbs, adverbs, and subordinating conjunctions (if, because,
        as, that, etc.)  are capitalized.  Articles (a, an, the),
        coordinating conjunctions (and, but, or for, nor), and
        prepositions, regardless of length, are lowercased unless they
        are the first or last word of the title or subtitle.  The to
        in infinitives is also lowercased.  Long titles of works
        published in earlier centuries may retain the original
        capitalization, except that any word in full capitals should
        carry only an initial capital.  No word in a quoted title
        should ever be set in full capitals, regardless of how it
        appears on the title page of the book itself, unless it is an
        acronym, such as WAC, UNICEF, or FORTRAN.

We should be using this universally, IMO.

Ceri

--=20

--xA/XKXTdy9G3iaIz

--xA/XKXTdy9G3iaIz--