Date:      Thu, 25 May 2017 22:06:07 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Garc=EDa?= Juanino <jjuanino@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Several PostgreSQL versions installed

--3mqpi5xnkc246zgm

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 09:59:08PM +0200, Jos=E9 Garc=EDa Juanino wrote:
> Hi FreeBSD porters,
>=20
>=20
> I have been read the following thread
>=20
> "Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare"
>=20
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2015-July/099842.html
>=20
> but I think that, two years later, there is no progress on this matter.
> I am unaware if there is any project that addresses this issue, so my
> apologies if this work is already in progress.

No progress as far as I am aware. except a PoC (early, ugly, unfinished)
https://people.freebsd.org/~bapt/pgsql95.diff

>=20
> The goal of the new postgresql port schema should be, in my honest
> opinion:
>=20
> * It must allow to install distinct version without ugly hacks as jails,
>   etc. Jails are a overkill to accomplish this task.
>=20
> * Each software version must live in a separate directory
> ${LOCALBASE}/pgsql/X.Y:
>=20
>     /usr/local/pgsql/9.2
>     /usr/local/pgsql/9.4
>     /usr/local/pgsql/9.6
>=20
>   and so on.

Yes this is what I was proposing
>=20
>=20
> * It is not necessary to provide an installed version as the default.
>   For example, if we need 9.5 and 9.6 versions installed, both are
>   equally valid, and we do not need the standard postgresql binaries
>   (pg_dump, psql, pg_ctl, etc) installed in the standard PATH as
>   /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin.  Those binaries are located under
>   /usr/local/pgsql/X.Y/bin directory, and everyone can configure the
>   shell environment variable PATH to add the previous directory:
>   PATH=3D$PATH:/usr/local/pgsql/X.Y/bin. Please do not make symlinks from
>   /usr/local/bin/pg_some to specific /usr/local/pgsql/X.Y/bin/pg_some,
>   it has very little advantages and a lot of drawbacks. Under a prompt
>   command line, a skilled database administrator always need to know
>   what command version is executing and do not need an standard location
>   as /usr/local/bin.

For a database administrator yes playing with the path is enough, but for a=
 new
comer installing pgsql for his blog this would be complicated
>=20
>=20
> * The rc and the periodic script must be versioned also:
>=20
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql9.6
>     /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql5.6
>=20
yes

One important thing is there is a need for a small modification for the
postgresql build system: add a proper RUNPATH for the binaries to always fi=
nd
the right libpq

>=20
>=20
> Best regards, and thanks to the volunteers for make FreeBSD an great
> operating system!
>=20

Note that the same should apply to mysql/mariadb/etc

bapt

--3mqpi5xnkc246zgm

--3mqpi5xnkc246zgm--