Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:12:47 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdformat doesn't work anymore?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:57, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> I am trying to format a floppy in a FreeBSD 4.9-mumble system but it sp=
its
> errors on most tracks.
>
> I've tried several floppies, but the result is the same. If I do "dd
> if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/fd0c" it completes without error.

So this proves you can get nulls from /dev/zero without error.
But having done this will dd read from /dev/fd0c?

> ie ->
> [midget 19:47] ~ >sudo fdformat /dev/fd0c
> Format 1440K floppy `/dev/fd0c'? (y/n): y
> Processing EEEEVEEVEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEVVVVVVVVVVVE done.
> Errors encountered:
> Cyl Head Sect   Error
>   1    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   2    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   2    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   3    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   3    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   4    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   4    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   5    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   5    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   6    0    5   CRC error in data field
> (Further errors not printed.)
>
> vs
> [midget 19:46] ~ >sudo dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/fd0c
> dd: /dev/fd0c: end of device
> 2881+0 records in
> 2880+0 records out
> 1474560 bytes transferred in 52.879389 secs (27885 bytes/sec)
>
> Nothing is logged in dmesg during fdformat.
>
> I have a
> fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on is=
a0
> fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
> fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
>
> Running on a 1Ghz K7 KT133 system. I tried it in my laptop (Inpsiron 80=
00
> PIII700, ICH2) with similar results.
> [chowder 19:50] ~ >sudo fdformat -f 1440 /dev/fd0c
> Format 1440K floppy `/dev/fd0c'? (y/n): y
> Processing EEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV done.
> Errors encountered:
> Cyl Head Sect   Error
>   1    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   2    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   2    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   3    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   3    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   4    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   4    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   5    0    5   CRC error in data field
>   5    1    5   CRC error in data field
>   6    0    5   CRC error in data field
> (Further errors not printed.)
>
> Admittedly the disks I've tried are a bit old, but it seems very strang=
> that format fails while dd works..

But does dd really work -- can you read from the disk without error?

The fact that the errors are pretty much the same on both machines, I wou=
ld=20
take as a strong indication the the diskettes are due for the rubbish tip=
=2E

And I've known batches of old disks to fail from physical distortion of t=
he
media while on the shelf through aging -- long term backup on floppies is=
=20
useless or at least a big gamble.

> Floppies do suck but some times they are like Obi Wan.. my only hope
>
> :)

Malcolm Kay