Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:15:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Draft manpages available for review

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
> >
> > I have written a set of manpages for my new driver framework for FreeBSD.
> > If anyone is interested in reviewing them, you can find them at:
> >
> >         http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr/man9.diff
> >
> > Just apply the diff to src/share/man/man9 and type make install.
> >

> How much have you looked at what NetBSD are moving towards? (have)
>
> Jason's work looks quite good (what I have seen of it)

Do you mean NetBSD-current's version of config.new (kern/subr_autoconf.c)?
I looked at this about a year ago when I first started thinking about the
requirements for loadable drivers and dynamic instancing of devices.  At
the time, it seemed to be very tightly linked to the idea of having
everything described in the kernel config file which doesn't really allow
the loading of drivers which the kernel doesn't already know about.

I think that the framework that I have now fits my needs much better than
config.new.  In addition, with the extendable device interface code which
I recently committed, I believe that my system is flexible enough to cope
with most (all?) of the different types of bus in modern computers.

I may provide the config.new API as a porting aid to allow easy sharing of
drivers with BSDI and NetBSD but I don't think this is an optimal solution
as drivers configured in this way will not be unloadable.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039