Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:45:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@Watt.COM
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports symlink disappears

>From: steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
>Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:36:27 -0800

>I like to have my /usr/ports stuff on a different filesystem than /usr,
>but I'd rather not dedicate a whole partition to ports.  What I've been
>doing is ln -s /local/ports /usr, but I just got bitten by that.
>Actually, I got bitten some time ago, during a cvsup.  It appears
>that cvsup doesn't care for having /usr/ports a symlink, and blows it
>away and re-checks out everything.  Which, if one isn't paying attention
>leads to two copies of the ports tree, and a number of other ugly
>side-effects.

>Any tips on how to make it stop doing that?  If it weren't for the
>various warnings on mount_null, I'd do that.

I'm failing to see the behavior you describe.

I have 3 different bootable environments (most recent -STABLE; previous
-STABLE; -CURRENT (which is, well, current)), each of which has its own
/usr.

But since the ports aren't branched, each of the /usr filesystems has a
symlink:

m133[2] ls -l /usr/ports
lrwx------  1 root  wheel  13 Mar 26 09:11 /usr/ports -> /common/ports

and I've been CVSupping nightly for the last couple of weeks, and
rebuilding -STABLE & -CURRENT daily.  I stuck

        cd /usr/ports && cvs update -d >>$LOG 2>&1
        echo "/usr/ports update ended at `date`" >>${LOG}

in after the CVSup (in the script I use), and I know it's been updating
the ports OK....

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823