Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:25:01 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: paths - a newbie question

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 11:06:02AM -0500, Walter wrote:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> >In <3E8EF5F3.2040405@earthlink.net>, Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net> typed:
> >
> >>After installing a port using "pkg_add -r <util>," the only
> >>way I know to be able to type <util> at the command prompt
> >>to have it execute is either to reboot, or to make an alias
> >>for it by hand.  Surely there's a better way.  Is there a
> >>way to make the OS make a link auto-majically?  Thanks.
> >
> >This is your shell, not the OS. Without knowing which shell you are
> >using, I can't say for sure, but you might try the "rehash" command.
>
> Beauty!  Worked great.  (It's the /bin/csh.)
> Maybe someone could add a note on this to the
> ports/packages section of the handbook??

I don't wish to be rude, but maybe you could read your shells' manual page,
or a book for new UNIX users ?

The handbook is rather unwieldy as it is, and is really meant for FreeBSD
specific things (hence the name).  Sometimes we do hand hold in that document,
but there has to be a limit.

As I said, please don't take offence.

Ceri