Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:12:51 +0100
From:      Stephan Beal <stephan.beal@einsurance.de>
To:        Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting rid of FreeBSD partitions?

PeTe,

Thanks very much, but I've found the solution. Kent Stewart pointed me to=
 the=20
WRITE option in fdisk. Write works, but is not in the list of commands in=
=20
sysinstall's fdisk, so I never would have found it.

> You've tried to start the FreeBSD install from CD and removing all slic=
es?
> Create on slice with DOS compatibilty, go through installation prosses
> until it completes writing the disk info then reboot.. You should be
> allright.

That was the problem, basically, the installation process won't continue =
if I=20
don't have any correct slices (and thus won't write the partition table).=
=20
Thus if you don't know the W option is there, you can't ever nuke the tab=
les=20
and then abort install process. Running fdisk from the rescue shell didn'=
t do=20
it for me - it simply bitched about the partitions and exits.

> Don't think that the problem is with FreeBSD, sticky fingers yes, but
> blaming FreeBSD as you do are not only provocative but also childish.  =
What=20
> have you learned from this experience?? Nothing.  Yes, Linux would prob=
ably=20
> be you flavor.

It wasn't my intention to blame FreeBSD, or start a flame war (yes, I see=
 how=20
it came across that way, and I appologize). it turns out that the problem=
=20
seems to be more a fault of a missing (visibly, anyway) option in fdisk. =
I=20
would suggest to any BSD installation maintainers that they make the Writ=
e=20
option visible in the fdisk setup.

Again, thanks VERY VERY much to those of you who pointed me in the right=20
direction.

----- Stephan