Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:47:07 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>
To:        Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing T/TCP and replacing it with something simpler

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:32:48PM +0200, Marco Molteni wrote:
> SCTP in KAME is complete, stable and fully supported.
> It is mainly developed by the SCTP RFC author, Randall Stewart.

Randall has been maintaining his SCTP stack on FreeBSD 4.x,
OpenBSD, and NetBSD.  It has recently been ported to Darwin.

> A T/TCP alternative as you are describing sounds very
> similar to PR-SCTP (Partial Reliability SCTP). (Don't let the
> name fool you, please read the internet draft).

Interesting stuff:
http://www.portaroo.net/ietf/idref/draft-ietf-tsvwg-prsctp/

> There is at least another kernel-level open source implementation,
> for Linux, plus other user-level implementations.

There is one kernel implementation of SCTP in
the Linux 2.6 series of kernels ( http://lksctp.sourceforge.net ),
and another kernel level implementation available separately
( http://www.openss7.org/sctp.html ).

SCTP is an IETF standard, and a lot of people are getting interested
in it.  It would be nice to have it in FreeBSD, especially since
it is showing up in the Linux distributions.

The only issue with Randall's implementation is that
it is only for 4.x.....I looked a while back at porting it to 5.x/CURRENT....
there is some work that needs to be done, i.e. using
the new zone(9) API for allocating memory, and probably also
getting the locking right.

I don't know how much overlap there is with what Andre is going to
implement, but I thought I would throw the information out there
for those who may be interested. :)

--
Craig Rodrigues
http://crodrigues.org