Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 22:48:00 -0500
From:      David McNett <nugget@slacker.com>
To:        Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speech output software?

On 09-Sep-2000, Doug Lee wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a package for FreeBSD which would do text-to-speech
> using either a sound card or the internal PC speaker or both?  At this
> point, I'm not looking for a full-fledged screen reader (though I'd like
> to know of any of those which run on FreeBSD also); I just need something
> which will say what I tell it to say without requiring a hardware speech
> synthesizer.

/usr/ports/audio/rsynth will do what you want.   from DESCR:

    This is a text to speech system produced by integrating various
    pieces of code and tables of data, which are all (I believe) in
    the public domain.

    The Oxford Text Archive has for several years maintained copies
    of several machine-readable dictionaries along with its extensive
    (if unsystematic) collections of other machine-readable texts.
    This document gives some further details of the various
    dictionaries available, and summarises the conditions under which
    copies of them are currently distributed.

    The Oxford Text Archive Shortlist  (available on request via
    electronic mail and by FTP) gives up to date brief details of all
    texts held in the Archive. Send electronic mail to
    ARCHIVE@VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK. For anonymous FTP, look in the
    directory ota on ota.ox.ac.uk (129.67.1.165)