Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 18:07:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      MARC Giannoni <marc@cmc.eng.comsat.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help! I blew away init

I accidently blew away init.  Just how I acomplished this was by moving
the directory sbin to another name.  Everything is still on the disk,
just not in the proper location.

After quite a bit of investigation with the boot floppies, I can't find a
way to get to a single user shell on the floppy drive! (Boy that would be
nice!! Like the old 386BSD days!)

Are there any of thoes old floppy images around?  How can I change one
entry in the root file system now that I can't boot the hard disk?

When I try "fixit, disklabel, proceed" the system aborts when it finds the
root directory already has "/stand".  I do not want to try "fixit, fdisk,
disklabel, proceed" because it will newfs all of the partitions that are
specified, and blow away the whole hard drive.

I am shure someone has been able to work through this problem before.

| Marc V. Giannoni             | Voice:    (301) 428-2547             |
| COMSAT Mobile Communications | Fax:      (301) 601-5959             |
| 22300 Comsat Drive           | Internet: marc@cmc.eng.comsat.com    |
| Clarksburg, MD 20871         | Title:    Software Engineer          |