Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:51:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org (FreeBSD ports list)
Subject:   Re: ports/print/ghostscript4

> > They should!  Over the weekend I installed 2.1.5-R and 82 megs of
> > packages.  With my fascist root umask, over half the ports were installed
> > such that mear mortals could not use them.  Quite annoying.
>
> find is your friend. :-)

Yep, best friend sometimes :-)  But I didn't want to make a sweaping
chmod.  Some the of the files belonging to security related packages are
supose to have fascist permissions.  So I had to do a lot of it by hand.

> > Could bsd.port.mk set a "umask 022"???
>
> Sigh.......................................

> with equally gratuitous use of capital letters

look ma!  no capital letters  :-))

> I personally take the position that if you want a nice umask, you
> should set a nice umask,

I applied Satoshi's diffs to my local bsd.port.mk and that is a good
reminder for me on port installs.  Just patching my local copy of
bsd.port.mk is ok with me (as long as changes I make are compatable with
the stock one -- which this one is :-))

But, my dislike deals with the precompiled Packages.  Could it pkg_add
preserve file permissions?  Or if that is not desired, an option added to
do so?

As a side note, I think the ports collection is one of FreeBSD's greatest
assets.  I agree that for the precompiled packages, ease of use (with no
surprises) is a Good Thing.  I've shown several Linux users FreeBSD.  The
precompiled packages that are so easy to install is the one thing that
convinced a few of the to switch to FBSD.

-- David