Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:56:33 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 5.0-CURRENT diskless boot recognition

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, John Hay wrote:

:>>
:>> As I posted prior to this question, I have problems in getting diskless
:>> started with 5.0-Current as cvsupdated today. The problem is still the same
:>> and after a night of hairloosing work I think I got closer to the problem.
:>>
:>> We use PXE as bootstrap environment, isc-dhcp and a read-only disk partition
:>> /usr/diskless conatining for each architecture we boot diskless its appropriate
:>> directory. The diskless kernels are compiled with individual 'ident Marker',
:>> have options NFS_ROOT, MD_ROOT, UNIONFS, PSEUDOFS and device md.
:>> The whole setup is as described in /etc/rc.d/initdiskless with special
:>> /conf-dir entries and this scheme works perfect under FreeBSD 4.7.
:>
:>I don't think you need MD_ROOT or UNIONFS. I also have BOOTP,
:>BOOTP_NFSROOT and BOOTP_NFSV3.

I do not have BOOTP and the other BOOTP_XXX options. When enabling this, I fall
into trouble and the kernel panics.

As you can see, the BOOTP-stage is left behind when the problems I have occurs.
BOOTP should be necessary for loading and bootstrapping, but the kernel was
already running when the fault happens.

:>
:>> FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT seems to have problems within its bootstrap process
:>> to recognize that it is a diskless system.
:>>
:>> After the diskless station got its IP, loaded and booted the kernel I see this
:>> on screen:
:>>
:>> Mounting root from nfs:
:>> NF ROOT: MY.IP : /usr/diskless/xterm
:>> Starting file system checks:
:>> mount: / : unknown special file or filesystem
:>
:>Do you have a mount point for / in fstab? I have something like this:
:>
:>my.nfs.ip.number:/export/current / nfs ro 0 0

No, I do not. I tried this, but without success.
The problem is, as far as I can follow up, that the booted kernl/system does not know to
be a diskless machine, so it goes on in initializing itself with the normal scripts
and not with those especially made for diskless booting.

:>
:>> Mounting NFS file system:.
:>> eval: /etc/rc.d/cleanvar: Permission denied.
:>> .
:>> .
:>> .
:>> After the last message a lot of deny error occur.
:>> I modified all the diskless-scripts in rc.d with my own echo
:>> commands to check which one gets involved, but none of them
:>> get touched! The above process looks identical of what a
:>> normal standalone machine does when booting. No wonder when
:>> diskless does not work when the init process does not recognize
:>> that it is booting diskless.
:>
:>The only mods that I made was to mount /var over NFS and not as a RAM
:>disk. It would be nice if there was a knob to select that. :-)
:>
:>>
:>> We do not use BOOTP and I do not know whether FBSD 5.X does only support this
:>> scheme. We would like to stay with the NFS process. But I think technically
:>> this can not be the problem, because after the station has already booted
:>> the kernel it doesnt care what mechanism it booted from. NFS is the dominating
:>> facility and I could see, the root partition got mounted as expected.
:>
:>Remember BOOTP is just a subset of DHCP. Actually the BOOTP in the kernel
:>will first try dhcp requests before fallng back, IIRC. And it seems to
:>need it in -current while it didn't when I last did a -stable diskless
:>setup.

If this is really the case, how prevent the kernel from panicing? What is
the benefit of doing a bootp-bootstrap the new way compared against the
way it was done in 4.X?
If bootp is used, I need to reconfigure the whole stuff, especially the
DHCP-server and this is not a nice work to do ... :-(

:>
:>> Can anyone help? Do I mark each kernel with 'ident DISKLESS' to give the init
:>> process any idea what it should do?
:>
:>I use DLESS, so it shouldn't be necesary. :-)
:>
:>Well I learned a lot by watching tcpdump while it is all happening. :-)
:>
:>John
:>--
:>John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org
:>

Thanks.

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)