Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:24:01 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <ruben@bzerk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gifconfig: interface gif0 does not exist

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a VPN between two routers on a private network.
Both routers are FreeBSD 4.4-stable and have "pseudo-device gif" in
their kernel-config.

When I issue the command:

router1# gifconfig gif0 inet 192.168.179.40 192.168.179.120

I get the errormessage:

gifconfig: interface gif0 does not exist

I read the manpages gif(4), gifconfig(8) and LINT, but didn't find any clues.
Am I forgetting something? For example, is "options INET6" mandatory? I'm
not using IPv6, so I commented that out of the kernel config file.

Regards,
Ruben de Groot