Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:49:31 -0800
From:      "Paul A. Scott" <pscott@skycoast.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A quizical

> /dev/ad0s1e     99183    99068    -7819   109%    /var [...]
> Showing /var at 109% capacity, over 99 megs.  [...]
> The thing is this ... du feels differently ... [...]
> Little over a meg ... not nearly 100.  So the question becomes
> where's the beef?

It's possible that some running process has unlinked a file on the /var file
system but still has it open. On UNIX, you can unlink (delete) a file while
it's open to keep it from appearing in the 'ls' and 'du' output, but 'df'
will see the space used. If that's the case here, then when the file is
closed the space will be recovered. I'm not sure what utilities are
available to show which processes have space allocated (I'd sure like to
know of one, though) but if you kill the offending process then the unlinked
file space will be recovered. Easiest solution would be to reboot the
machine, but you would still need to discover the cause or it will happen
again.

On the other hand, you might have a different problem. IDK.

Paul

Paul A. Scott
mailto:pscott@skycoast.us
http://skycoast.us/pscott/