Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:30:23 +0100
From:      Thomas Seck <tmseck@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

On Do , Jan 18, 2001 at 09:41:23am +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> On Thu 2001-01-18 (02:23), Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> > It seems to me that most of the confused are usually just trying to
> > recompile a custom kernel to add, for example, sound support.  It's
> > ridiculous to make these people do a full world build just to be able
> > to hear sound from their soundcard.  Obviously, if you have updated
> > your source tree from, it's very dangerous NOT to do the buildworld -
> > buildkernel - installkernel - installworld dance.  But it's silly to
> > advocate that someone who just installed 4.2, and simply wants to hear
> > an MP3 must do a full buildworld...  Just my $0.02.
>
> Who exactly is advocating a full buildworld?  The "new" style should not
> require a full buildworld.  If it doesn't work, it's a bug.

Well, then it is a bug.  I ran into it when I tried to build a custom
kernel after installing a new box from the 4.2-R iso-image.  Compiling
the kernel using "ye olde way" was successful.  I gave it a try and
built world (without installing!) - and was able to compile my kernel
in the new fashion.

Regards,
Thomas Seck