Date:      27 Jun 2000 14:34:55 +0200
From:      micheloo@xs4all.nl (Michel Oosterhof)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable boot hangs

imp@village.ORG (Warner Losh) writes:

>In message <20000626163623.A60970@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl> "Karel J. Bosschaart" writes:
>: On 06/17 there was a change in sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c, which causes my ISA
>: NE2000 compatible to hang at boot time, just like in your case. I contacted
>: Paul Saab, who commited the change, about it and hope he will have a
>: solution. As a quick workaround, you might try replacing if_ed.c with an
>: 'old' one and recompile your kernel. I didn't try this myself. Instead
>: I replaced my ISA NIC with a PCI NIC (also using ed0...) which works fine.
>: If you go into config mode during boot and disable the ed driver the system
>: will boot again - without network of course :-(.
>: (The change in if_ed.c had to do with probing newer cards).

>Yes.  We really need to split up the ed driver into three new drivers:
>ne (for the ne2000), smc (for the smc based card) and ls (for linksys,
>although my off the cuff name sucks).  Probing is becoming much harder
>for these beasts and order is getting harder and harder to get right
>for every card on the planet :-(

I also had problems with my latest kernel, that hangs at boot time right
after the parallel port (which is just before the ethernet devices, i think).
This could be a configuration error on my part, or maybe i walked into
the same bug as the poster here (it's an NE2000 clone card). Just thought
I'd let you know.

michel