Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:02:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar (Fernando Gleiser)
Cc:        pdesai1@cs.uh.edu (Pranav A. Desai), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to create another account with root privileges ?

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Pranav A. Desai wrote:
>
> > Hi all!
> >
> > 	Thanks a lot to all those who replied. I will try to convince them
> > to use sudo, as most of you have mentioned that it is a better option than
> > changing /etc/passwd. If it doesnt work with them then I will use the
> > second option of changing passwd.
>
> No, the second option is to give them the root password and tell them to log
> as a normal user and then su(8) to root. The last option is to give them
> accounts with full root privs.

Really, I think that is a less desirable option than just giving them
their own root account.   They can create one anyway with the su ability
and they can log in as main root rather than su-ing which is what they are
likely to do and mess around with stuff you have in that account like
your .cshrc or .profile and files in root's home directory.   Maybe better
yet, star(*) out the main root password and make yourself as well as those
extra admins use their own root accounts.  You're less likely to
get in trouble.

////jerry