Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:18:34 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: make installworld over NFS doesn't work anymore

Hello Kris,
> Make sure you are not doing a make world with -DNOCLEAN and
> -DNOCLEANDIR. If the problem persists, remove your /usr/obj directory and
> try again.

I did a simple make buildworld. No hacks beside of the following:
- UT_NAMESIZE 31
- MAXLOGNAME  32
- NOSENDMAIL
the whole config worked several times before the MfC.

I killed /usr/obj by hand, cvsupped at 11:30 GMT and started make
buildworld which ran through without any problems but still, the make
installworld over NFS doesn't work:
sed '/^#ifndef NO_IDEA$/,/^#endif$/d' /usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/evp/evp.h >  /usr/obj/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/evp.h.new
cannot create /usr/obj/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto/evp.h.new: permission denied
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypto.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/secure/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/secure.
*** Error code 1

To be honest, I don't understand why installworld needs to write to
/usr/obj as this is crying for problems when /usr/obj is mounted
ro (which I think should be the case with -maproot=root NFS exports,
YMV)... I don't think I'm the only one who wants to do make installworld
from ro mounted places.

Best regards,
 Gabriel