Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:44:49 -0700
From:      "Pat Maddox" <pergesu@gmail.com>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: repeated ssh login attempts/failure/break-in attempts from kiddy script

Disable password-based logins (use keys instead), move SSH to another
port, or install some kind of brute force monitor.  First two options
are the best, but if for some reason you need to keep it on 22 and
password-based logins then look to a BF monitor.  Just make sure you
actually need it..and do some googling, as this gets talked about a
lot (I know, because I asked the same question a few months ago! :)

Pat

On 3/31/06, Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com> wrote:
> Noted recently in auth.log, a string of connection attempts repeated/fail=
ed over
> and over from one host - looks like a script someone's running, tries all=
 kinds
> of various usernames, etc... attempts like 100-200 logins, fails and goes=
 away.

> Few hours go by, and another such attempt, from a different IP comes in. =
If I'm