Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2013 17:02:03 -0400
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Makhmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cgi/ports.cgi: Last database update

--kjzasy1UhXmRStS5

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:58:04PM +0400, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
> Hi Glen,
>=20
> Glen Barber wrote on 15.05.2013 16:54:
> >On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 08:20:11AM +0400, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>some user on a forum pointed out that freebsd.org's ports tree is
> >>not updated since 2012-11-11. F.e. I looking for gajim in the ports
> >>tree:
> >>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=3Dgajim&stype=3Dall&sektion=
=3Dall

> >>There is the message:
> >>"Last database update: 2012-11-11 10:45:48 UTC"
> >>
> >>And gajim version is at 0.15.2 (while it was already updated to
> >>0.15.3_1) and gajim-devel still here.
> >>
> >>If I understand correctly, this may be related to CVS-exporter deprecat=
ion.

> >>Is this is a known issue and is there any plans to fix that?
> >>Thanks.
> >>

> >I will take a look at this today.
> >
> >Glen
>=20
> Any news?
>=20

Sorry for the delay here.

So, there are a few different problems all in this area, that are all
related to the same underlying infrastructure.  But, here's the short
version:

I am in the midst of deprecating the machine that used to be responsible
for doing the doc/www builds (previously known as red.FreeBSD.org).
Well, to be more clear, it is already (physically) deprecated, but its
services have been moved to a jail on a different system. =20

The problem I've run into is that there are a few things that are so
intertwined, and dependent on the filesystem, that it is actually quite
much of a mess to untangle.

I have some (I think most) of these running within the new system.
(These are where some of the random error emails originated a few weeks
ago, actually.)  But there are still some service-untangling to do.

Some of the filesystem-dependent things appear to use cvs-style
checkouts of doc/www (meaning, different directories), and I think this
is the core of the problem with the CGI stuff not working.

Getting this working again is a very high priority for me, but
unfortunately was out of town last week unexpectedly, so not a whole lot
of untangling got accomplished.

Once I get the CGI hosting moved from the current setup to the new
setup, some (if not all) of these website CGI problems should go away as
a general side effect of the updates.

I hope, worst case, to have everything fully functional on the new
system within the week.  When this happens, I'll send a heads-up to
ops-announce@ mailing list, since I found with the last move that some
things did unexpectedly break, so while I can test the majority of the
services provided here, I likely will miss something.

I know it is not the answer you wanted to hear.  But I am working on it,
and just need a bit more time to make sure I do not break everything,
since there are a lot of interdependencies here.

Glen

--kjzasy1UhXmRStS5

--kjzasy1UhXmRStS5--