Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:15:36 +0100
From:      "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
To:        parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
Cc:        ru@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld with ro /usr/src broken

--=.Ad3DuwRguP/+QB

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:03:55 -0500 parv <parv_@yahoo.com> wrote:

> in message <20020227111914.GB30220@sunbay.com>,
> wrote Ruslan Ermilov thusly...

> > MAKEOBJDIR[PREFIX] only work right if set as environment variables.
> > This is documented in make(1) manpage and in /usr/share/mk/bsd.obj.mk.
> >
> > I have an uncommitted patch that makes it possible to set them on
> > make(1)'s command line but still no joy in attempting to set them
> > in /etc/make.conf.  I bear in mind adding a patch to Makefile.inc1
> > too that would prevent people from attempting to set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX
> > in /etc/make.conf.
>
> seems like it is not yet possible to use MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX again in
> /etc/make.conf.  last cvsup was done on Sun Mar 17 2002 00:07:35 UTC
> (end time).  (MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX could have been specified in
> /etc/make.conf when i last built 4-stable around 2002-02-03 07.04.04
> UTC.
>

> if MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX (=/source/obj) had been specified,
> currently, in /etc/make.conf, make buildworld would die at the point
> below.  i had to unset MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.  (/usr/src is
> symlinked to /source/src-stable, and /usr/obj to /source/obj.)

uhm as make(1)'s manpage states: MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX needs to be a env var.
so you need to build with env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=foo make buildworld
but beware, due to some strange bug (didn't investigate further) you
need to retry building after the first failure (some rm ro file bug)
with -DNOCLEAN

--
/"\   http://corecode.ath.cx/
\ /