Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how can you say ufs is faster?

I am not disagreeing with you for your case study or OS for that matter as
I do prefer freebsd much over linux anyday. IN a test I did where qmail
was overloaded with mail on both a linux fs then a freebsd fs, linux fs
outperformed freebsd no problems. Ufs , maybe i am wrong but is way slower
when writing to files. Maybe reading sure.....but i am convinced writing
there is no way. What i ended up doing was just striping 3 scsi drives
together with vinum on freebsd because i try not to use linux unless
SMP is a major factor. IF you look over current SMP code in kernel
i can say linux and solaris do it way better......and there is no way fbsd
can do it without a complete re-write of kernel which they are promising
in  5.0....but we will see. I really question your benchmark program....
what do you use and your stats were based on more than 1 benchmark test
right?