Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:57:58 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:
>
>> The reasons we dont deal with J. Dixon are rather obvious here.....
>
>Yes.  He is given to thinking.

thinking can be a bad thing for some..

>> >The boards that we have -- I think that the date on the PCB is 1992 --
>
>I was trying to suggest that perhaps the boards that we had were an
>old design, and the problems might have been corrected.  I guess they
>haven't been.
>
>> the riscomm design is about the same age.....so whats your point? We
>
>RISCOM/N2 REV D -- February 1996.

the boards were designed in the early 90's, thinking man, they just keep
finding bugs......we're on Rev A because we did it right the first time! We
also know that the board itself is only a small part of the big picture...the
software is much more important to stability and value added functionality.

>> didnt have problems with our design, so we haven't change the copyright.
>> Perhaps you'd rather deal with a company that needs 5 revs of a board to
>> get it right...but thats your choice.
>
>No.  We manufacture boards on occasion.  We are aware that there have
>been many advances in the last four years.  Perhaps you aren't.

The only "advances" with the Riscomm is that is used to not work very well,
and now it is better. Get yourself a Rev A N2 board and see what an abortion
it was.........

>We had support problems because the cards did not work when used as
>specified in the manual, because compression didn't compress, because
>use of the cards caused system panics, and because calls to your company
>for support resulted in just the sort of bad-tempered response we are
>seeing right now.

I told you you couldnt compress BSD ping packets with our algorithm, and
that the
compression couldnt compete with specialized compression routers. Compression
is a "feature". You also refused to send me your config files and that
you didn't have the thing configured correctly (ala the panics). You never did
what I asked you to do...I can't help those that dont want it. Other
not-so-thinking
people did fine with the manuals provided

db