Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:39:57 +0200
From:      Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>
To:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for comments on a new utility...

Le 2002-06-11, Juli Mallett écrivait :

> feature I've missed having in our ps(1) for a while, the ability to get a
> tree of processes printed so you can tell who is whose child, etc.

Yes, this would be an invaluable feature!

Even nicer would be a user interface (command line, output style)
consistent with the existing Linux pstree utility. This one also has
a nice functionality: by default it will collapse all siblings with
the same name, in order to limit display clutter, eg:

     |-omniNames---omniNames---3*[omniNames]

with the following being printed if you ask for pids ('-p'):

      |-omniNames(313)---omniNames(335)-+-omniNames(336)
      |                                 |-omniNames(338)
      |                                 `-omniNames(345)

(note: this is not the same as our sysutils/pstree port, which
postprocesses the output of ps(1)).

One version of the Linux pstree is available from the psmisc port.
Another, more recent, has been ported to several platforms (including
NetBSD), see http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~bjharris/.

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG