Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:00:07 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports and upgrading as i have seen

Well the good news to the beginning I managed cvsup to get running
(it can resolve IP -addresses now).
What I have made (probably too quikly):I upgraded my ports tree(now it has
kde java irc entries and everything lokks great).
What I failed to make:I surely would to upgrade my software using
following pattern:
make deinstall apsfilter 5.0.1
make install   apsfilter 5.1.3
quick and painless method
but old Makefiles were erased as well as old work directories
so I got something like "can not make deinstall port is not installed"
I deleted some things manually and wonder now whether I made it clean or
not(i need no to wonder based on my small experiences it is save bet
to say no it is not clean :) )
The questions are:
Have I made something wrong?( or not so as it was expected)
What is the standard procedure of doing upgrade after cvsuping ports-tree?
Do you guess that some of hard recoverable errors have happened due to my
rather naive approach to upgrading with cvsup?
What about old MAkefiles and work direcotries?

Regards,
Ariel Burbaickij